Built in 1851 to replace a wooden lightship that had served since 1832, to mark a dangerous shallow area of northern Lake Michigan in the approach to the Straits of Mackinac.
The station sits on a wooden crib that was sunk and filled with stone. The crib structure was the first major crib built for a lighthouse on the Great Lakes. The crib was rebuilt with massive limestone blocks in 1867-70. A conical brick tower sits above the burned out shell of a round 2-story dwelling. The tower was encased in iron plates to protect the deteriorating bricks, but the iron work has fallen into Lake Michigan over the years.
This long abandoned light is only viewable by boat. The Waugoshance Lighthouse Preservation Society is working to restore the light station.
Location: Two miles offshore from Gros Cap and ten miles west of Mackinac Island
Date Built: 1850
Open To Public: No
Viewing: Best By Boat
Return to Things To Do Return to Lighthouses